Most of us feel anxious before events that can alter our lives such as an important exam, a major presentation, an interview for your dream job, moving cities or changing jobs. Anxiety, in itself, is a very normal reaction towards stressful situations.
However, when the feelings of worry or fear become stronger and start to interfere with one’s daily activities, it is termed as Anxiety Disorder. Anxiety disorders can be daunting, but easily managed with proper professional help.
The first step towards getting better is recognising the symptoms.
One of the most common symptoms of anxiety disorder is excessive worrying.
Excessive worrying can be associated with anxiety disorders if it is:
- Triggered by even simple everyday life situations, rather than truly worrying or disturbing events
- Severe and intrusive, making it difficult to concentrate and accomplish daily tasks
- Occurs on most days for at least six months, and
- Is difficult to control
If you are experiencing any of the above-mentioned symptoms frequently, there are high chances that you are suffering from Anxiety Disorder. Here’s what you can do to improve your mental health condition:
- Seek professional health: It is time to remove the stigma around seeing a psychiatrist. Licensed counsellors are trained to treat anxiety disorders through a variety of means, and provide the best solution for you. This often includes cognitive behavioural therapy, anti-anxiety medications or other natural therapies. Working with a professional can help you manage your anxiety and reduce your symptoms as quickly and safely as possible.
- Exercise/meditate: Research shows that people who exercise regularly face a lower risk of developing an anxiety disorder. Further, regular yoga practice has been shown to reduce the symptoms in people already diagnosed with anxiety disorders. Meditating every night is a good idea to calm your senses.
- Limit caffeine intake: Cut down on foods and drinks that have caffeine, such as coffee, tea, cold drinks and energy drinks. Caffeine worsens the symptoms of anxiety disorders.
- Eat right: Maintain a good diet rich in vegetables, fruits, high-quality meats, fish, nuts and whole grains, while cutting down on junk food. When you feel better about yourself, your mental health is bound to improve.
- Early to bed and early to rise: Sleep problems and anxiety disorders often run on parallel tracks. To give your mind and body a good rest, maintain a strict sleeping routine. Talk to your doctor if you have trouble falling asleep.
- Say no to smoking/alcohol: According to studies, quitting cigarettes and alcohol is strongly linked to better mental health. Anxiety disorders and alcohol abuse often go hand in hand, so it may help to stay away from alcoholic beverages.
- Let Renaé help you: With our NLP & Hypnotherapy programme, getting rid of your fears and anxiety is as easy as deleting an app on your phone. NLP and Hypnotherapy are complementary therapies that work at the subconscious level of your mind to help you alter your thoughts and shift your emotions to a more motivated state to achieve the results you want. We can help you resolve:
- Anxiety disorders
- Panic attacks
- Fears and phobias
- Anger issues
- Obsessions and compulsions
- Stress disorders
- Eating disorders